DANA MITCHELL/KANGAROO ISLAND WILDLIFE PARK VIA AP
A rescued koala from Kangaroo Island.
Here at the Furr-bulous HQ we are very clearly advocates for dogs in need. But the truth is, we love all animals; those domesticated and wild. We assume, given the media coverage, that most of the world’s population is very aware of what is currently taking place in Australia; where massive wildfires have been raging across the continent since September of 2019. One of the worst natural disasters our planet has ever seen, our neighbors in Australia are in a true crisis. These massive wildfires continue to burn across millions of acres. They’ve claimed the life of at least 24 people and an astonishing 500,000,000 estimated animals; a number that is expected to exponentially increase. Media coverage shows areas of Australia where the streets are lined with the lifeless bodies of the innocent animals who’ve lost their lives trying to escape the blazes. It is as harrowing as it is heartbreaking. Thousands of firefighters continue to battle over 200 blazes across Australia, with the United States sending at least 100 to help local crews. Our neighbors and allies need us to band together as humanitarians and rescue advocates. So for today’s blog post, we’re keeping it pretty short and straightforward.
Here’s how we can all help.
WILDLIFE ORGANIZATIONS to donate too:
- Donate to the WORLD WILDLIFE FUND AUSTRALIA, to help with koala conservation.
- Donate to WIRES, a wildlife nonprofit rescue that is rescuing and caring for thousands of sick, injured and orphaned native animals.
- Donate to the RSPCA NEW SOUTH WALES, which is helping to evacuate, rescue and treat pets and wildlife in threatened areas.
- Donate to PORT MACQUARIE KOALA HOSPITAL, to help provide water for wildlife and to support a Koala breeding program.
How to help the firefighters risking their lives:
- The NSW RURAL FIRE SERVICE, lets you donate to specific brigades.
- Donate to the COUNTRY FIRE SERVICE IN SOUTH AUSTRALIA to help volunteer firefighters.
- Donate to the QUEENSLAND FIRE AND RESCUE.
- Donate to the COUNTRY FIRE ASSOCIATION to support firefighters in Victoria and affected communities.
RELIEF ORGANIZATIONS to donate too:
- Donate to the RED CROSS to help thousands of people in evacuation centers and recovery hubs.
- Donate to the SALVATION ARMY to help local communities.
- Donate to the ST VINCENT SOCIETY to help feed affected families and buy them essentials.
Although Australia has received some much needed rain in the last 48 hours, it hasn’t been enough to stifle the fiercely burning fires. Unfortunately, they’re expected to get worse before they’re contained. The United States is no stranger to wildfires which hit our west coast more often than we’d like. In comparison, the Australia bushfires are far larger in size. We must find compassion and empathy within us to step forward and help. Remember, no matter how small or large our donations, in numbers, we can absolutely make a difference. Our hearts are with you, Australia.